Sun, Jul 31|
JULY Black Wellness: Meditation and Sound Bath for the Black Community
Beloved Black Community, this one is for us, by us. We deserve to rest and restore in community. Join me as we intentionally slow down in community with a meditation and sound bath designed to provide a space to pause and catch our breath. This event is intended exclusively for the Black community.
Time & Location
Jul 31, 2022, 3:30 PM – 5:00 PM
Seattle, 2609 S Jackson St, Seattle, WA 98144, USA
About the event
Columbia City Fitness Center is a Black-owned business located in the Central District of Seattle. We will be using the UPSTAIRS room for our event. There is a separate entrance for upstairs and please note that there is NO elevator in the building. The door is located to the left of the main doors of the fitness center.
Please allow yourself time to find street parking in the neighborhood. Metro Bus lines 4, 8, 14 and 48 all stop within three blocks of Columbia City Fitness Center.
What to Bring:
Please bring a yoga mat (a blanket will be fine if you don't have a yoga mat), pillow, blanket, water and whatever else you may need for your comfort (extra blankets, eye pillow, bolster, etc). We will be lying down for the majority of our experience together. Chairs will be available for those who prefer not to lie down. Please note that, aside from chairs, this facility does not have any other supplies (i.e. yoga mat, blankets, etc.), so please take a moment to think about and bring what you need to support your relaxation.
What to Wear:
Wear comfortable clothing - sweatpants, leggings, t-shirts, and sweatshirts are just fine! Dress with your comfort in mind. We will remove our shoes, so please wear socks if your feet get cold.
Flow of Events:
- We'll start with a grounding practice, welcome and check-in to create the space for our community
- Our first experience will be a breathing exercise together
- We'll then move into a guided visualization
- Finish with a sound bath
- Check-out and close the circle
What is a Sound Bath?
In general, a sound bath is a meditative experience where those in attendance are “bathed” in the healing vibration of sound waves. These waves are produced by various sources, including metal and crystal singing bowls, percussion, chimes, rattles, other instruments and even the human voice itself. For this experience, I will mostly be using metal and crystal singing bowls.
- As of March 1, 2022, the vaccine verification requirement is no longer in effect in King County
- I am requiring masks for this event. Disposable masks will be supplied if you do not have one.
- Two (2) medical grade air purifiers will be in use during the event
- Hand sanitizer will be available
- Participants will be asked to wash their hands upon entering the event space
If possible, please arrive up to 15 minutes early so that you can sign in, get situated just how you'd like, and spend a moment in "Earth Mama," my big grounding bowl that you step in to help settle your body down and prepare for the experience.